Anytime I see cinnamon, apples, granola and honey all mixed in one dish. I storm for a bowl and restrain from having 2nd and 3rds. This is one of my favorite sweet tooth crave filling breakfast items. I’d even have this as a snack. It’s toddler approved, Sonny loves this stuff! If we’re in a rush,we generally just pop the honey and apples in the microwave for a quick minuet or two. However, here’s the recipe…
Prep: 15 mins.
Cook: 10 mins
Stand: 10 mins.
Makes: 4 (1/2 cup) Servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Medium Apples
peeled if desired, cored and quartered
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Dash ground cardamom or ground cinnamon
- 1 Container fat-free plain yogurt 6 oz.
- 1 Teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 4 Teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup low-fat granola
1. In a medium skillet heat butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook about 5 mins or until apples are golden brown, turn occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in brown sugar, ginger, and cardamom; cook and stir for about 5 mins more or until apples are nearly tender. Remove skillet from heat. Cover and let stand for about 10 mins or until apples are tender.
2. Meanwhile, combine yogurt with lemon peel. Divide cooked apples among four individual plates or bowls. Top with yogurt mixture. Drizzle honey and sprinkle granola.
Nutritional Facts per 1/2 cup: 145 Cal. 3 grams total fat. 56 gm sodium. 26 gram carb. 2 gram dietary fiber. 5 grams protein.
(Recipe from The Ultimate Low-Calorie Book)